In 1913-1914, through Cantacuzino, Dumitru Ghiață received a scholarship to Paris, where he attended the Ranson Academy and the Delecluze Academy. Here he became acquainted with post-impressionist techniques, which he will assimilate in a personal way in his works: still lifes, landscapes and compositions in sober colors, with influences from folk art.
In 1927, Dumitru Ghiață married Aurelia.
In the same year, he started building a house on Clunet Street, in the Cotroceni neighborhood, using the money earned from the sale of the paintings and making a mortgage loan. The house consisted of a basement (utility room, kitchen, cellar and bathroom), a ground floor (hall, two rooms and kitchen) and a floor which was reached by a wooden staircase. Upstairs was a huge workshop, with the north wall almost entirely made of glass, to allow the best possible lighting.
On January 13, 1964, the State Council of the Romanian People’s Republic awarded the painter Dumitru Ghiață the title of People’s Artist of the Romanian People’s Republic “for special merits in the activity carried out in the field of theater, music and fine arts”.